Noise Abatement Program
Noise Abatement Program
Next Noise Advisory Committe Meeting:
The previously-scheduled meeting on 10/20/2016 has been rescheduled to
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 2106 @ 7:00p.m.
Location: Jetport Conference Room A
Noise Abatement Program
For your convenience, there are two ways to report a noise event:
* Call the Noise Hotline at 756-TELL (756-8355)
* Complete the Noise Complaint Form. Both are available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
Want to know the current wind speed and direction? Call the Automated Service Observing System (ASOS) line at 207-874-7914.
Want to know the current runway in use? Call the automated ATIS information line at 207-775-1039.
Click HERE to learn more about aviation METAR reports.
Working With Our Neighbors
The Portland International Jetport recognizes that neighborhoods surrounding PWM are affected by noise from aircraft operations. The Noise Advisory Committee (NAC) provides an official forum for collaborative discussion of airport noise issues and other related matters. Local jurisdictions and the City of Portland appoint the 12-member committee to represent residential and business concerns. The NAC was organized in 1988 as an official City of Portland advisory committee on aircraft noise issues.
The NAC members review noise abatement projects, provide input for the implementation of the current Portland International Jetport Noise Compatibility Plan, develop ideas and recommend proposals for consideration in future airport noise plans, participate on advisory committees involved in long-range airport facilities and capital improvement planning, and promote citizen understanding of airport noise issues.
Noise Control at the Jetport - A Brief History
In June of 1988, the City of Portland initiated a federally funded noise study for the Jetport and the nearby community. As a result, noise exposure maps (NEMs) were completed and submitted to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in November 1989. The FAA accepted them in March 1990 and the Noise Compatibility Program (NCP) was approved in September 1990. Seventeen of the eighteen operational recommendations contained in the NCP were approved, and the remaining one was partially approved.
Although most of the recommendations were implemented, circumstances have changed since then, including the number of flights and the types of aircraftoperating here. Because of these changes and the length of time since our last noise study, the airport noise advisory committee requested that we update our noise study. The FAR PART 150 update was completed in March 2006.
Fly Quiet Program
This voluntary program is designed to encourage aircraft operators to use "fly quiet" flight patterns and procedures that reduce noise in the communities surrounding Portland International Jetport. The airport's Noise Office is a timely resource for in-depth analysis and credible data about flight operations and noise monitoring reports. The Noise Office responds to residents' reports of specific noise events and investigates them to determine deviations from adopted Fly Quiet flight patterns and procedures.
Noise Advisory Committee Meeting Archive
- Noise Advisory Committee Meeting Notes - April 26, 2016
- Noise Advisory Committee Meeting Notes - October 29, 2015
- Noise Advisory Committee Meeting Notes - February 25, 2015
- Noise Advisory Committee Meeting Notes - October 16, 2014
- Noise Advisory Committee Meeting Notes- February 27, 2014
- Noise Advisory Committee Meeting Notes - October 24, 2013
- Noise Advisory Committee Meeting Notes - May 30, 2013
- Noise Advisory Committee Meeting Notes - January 29, 2013
- Noise Advisory Committee Meeting Notes - September 18, 2012
- Noise Advisory Committee Meeting Notes - May 24, 2012
- Noise Advisory Committee Meeting Notes - February 16, 2012
- Noise Advisory Committee Meeting - August 18, 2011
- Noise Advisory Committee Meeting Notes - May 26, 2011
- Noise Advisory Committee Meeting - May 26, 2011
- Noise Advisory Committee Meeting - February 17, 2011
- Noise Advisory Committee Meeting - September 23, 2010
- Noise Advisory Committee Meeting -May 13, 2010
- Noise Advisory Committee Meeting - February 18, 2010
- -Handout at 2/18/10 meeting
- Noise Advisory Committee Meeting - October 22, 2009
- FAA Advisory Circular
- Letter from Wiggins Airways
For further reading:
- Noise Quest
- "A satellite system that could end circling above the airport"-NY Times 4/4/2012
- Wall Street Journal Reports HVA Favorite Among Pilots - August 2012
From the FAA
- "As Technology Improves, Fewer People Deal with Noise"
"NextGen's Role in Reducing Aviation Noise"
Noise Abatement Planning Guide